OR A TRUE RELATION OF STRANGE PROCEEDINGS IN A SOMERSETSHIRE LOFT

Wednesday, 9 August 2017

OLD PROJECTS RENEWED

In the middle of summer holidays at the moment so chaos reigns at Atticus Towers. Happily I  have plenty to look forward to. Having packed in working weekends after 20 years, I now have pretty much carte blanche for several weekends of the year, thanks to Mrs. Atticus being a fairly laid back sort of wife, bless her. So I've re-joined the Sealed Knot Society AND the English Civil War Society and hope to take up the cause if the common man fighting for Parliament against the tyrant Charles Stuart (just in case you were wondering which side I was on).

This is really exciting as 2017 is the 375th anniversary of start of the Civil Wars, so I hope to make the re-enactment of Edgehill my first event and make as many anniversary events as I can over the next few years. If that wasn't enough, the 400th anniversary of the start of the Thirty Years War approaches, so I hope to get involved in some of the events commemorating that (dreadful) conflict.

I found this on the web, and it's interesting to see a mix of muskets and calivers in the same unit, shot troops wearing helmets, and the range at which they are firing at each other. There are accounts of units touching barrels before giving fire and falling on. That takes some nerve. 

This will involve a certain amount of expenditure, but luckily I kept a lot of my equipment from last time I was in the Knot, about 20 years ago, at least the hardware. Swords, bandolier, musket, shoes....all the pricey things. An order has gone into The 1642 Tailor for doublet, hose and coat, so by the start of next year I should be clad as a volunteer for Parliament ready to take part in the campaigns of 1643.

All this is making me think about starting up my 1/72 TYW armies again, or increasing my 54mm ECW armies to fight Edgehill. Apart from my local battle Lansdown, Edgehill has always been my second favourite ECW battle to study, and I highly recommend this book if you are interested too


All 3 authors were in my ECWS regiment (one was a prospective father-in-law!) and their knowledge of the Civil War is unsurpassed. Happily they write unashamedly with a Parliamentarian bias, which is refreshing as virtually every other book on the Civil War is pro-Royalist.

11 comments:

  1. Always found the ECW /TYW period fascinating , envy your re-enactment , Tony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never too old to start Tony. The Scots Brigade are pretty good in the Sealed Knot.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Alan, I hope it's as fun as it was back in the 80's when I first joined.

      Delete
  3. I have such fond memories of attending ECW reenactments as a child, although it seems they don't put on larger ones any more (at least down here). Insurance perhaps? I recall an enormous battle at Powderham in the early nineties, with paramedics frequently dashing onto the field of battle and another large clash at Escot which was preceded by a mass hanging. My favourite period bar none. I will be doing it in 10mm at some point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Addendum: please take a look at my historicals blog: https://we-stand-and-fight.blogspot.co.uk/

      Delete
    2. Hi Gareth, good to hear from you. I was at the Powderham battle...I think it was an ECWS one but could be wrong. I have attended many battles down in Cornwall, but it has to be said none in your immediate area I can recall. The SK certainly still put on whopping great events over the country, the ECWS has diminished so much they are really only fit for small Living History events, which is a shame, as they always had the edge on realism in my view, although the SK seem to be getting their act together. Seriously mate, you should try it out, it's a blast, cool clothes, real ale and great locations. Now following your blog.

      Delete
    3. It's something I have always considered. I saw the Wardour Garrison over at Politmore House back in May and have seen them at Killerton many times. They are more in the camp life/living history vein, which is always interesting.

      Delete
    4. They seem to have some good venues... might have a look at them myself. I'm about an hour from Wardour Castle itself. I see they were at Stokesay earlier this year...my favourite castle.

      Delete
  4. That's a good book on Edgehill. Read it earlier this year and dipping into it again now. Not as rip-roaring a read as Young mind. I'm a recent convert to matters Pike and Shot (especially in England) and looking forward to wargaming ECW and maybe the Monmouth Rebellion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nundanket. Good chap Peter Young, founding the Sealed Knot etc. but completely biased unfortunately. That's why I was glad to read this one. It's a fascinating period. BTW it's the 375th anniversary of Edgehill today!

      Delete