OR A TRUE RELATION OF STRANGE PROCEEDINGS IN A SOMERSETSHIRE LOFT AND THE FIELDS ABOUNDING

Thursday 17 January 2013

HERNE THE HUNTER

A seminal part of my teenage years was the 1980's TV series Robin of Sherwood, and it's no exaggeration to say it affected me profoundly and set me on a course that has seen me through my life so far. Cited in Hutton's history of Modern Witchcraft Triumph of the Moon as a major part of the pagan rebirth of the 1980's it featured a pleasing blend of gritty historical drama, magic and mullet hairstyles. (and yes, I did have one in 1986, but thankfully no photos survive).

My hopeless meandering through the wargames world has currently stopped in the twelfth century then, as I decided to have a bash at converting a figure to make Herne , the woodland God of Sherwood, and spiritual guide of Robin,  played by the late John Abineri,





I decided to do 2 poses, one giving The Blessing and one more static. The robes are tissue paper and linen. I   haven't decided how to paint these chaps yet...they are asking for a detailed paintjob, but my original plan was to block paint my medievals like my ECW figures...


8 comments:

  1. Nice concept.
    I too greatly enjoyed the series...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting figures,I look forward to seeing them completed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look great! Some of my earliest TV-related memories are of watching 'Robin of Sherwood'.

    Kudos on having a mullet, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First rate renditions of Herne - well done!! Tell me, is Herne Hill in Londinium a reference to the god, or is that something else? And if so, where is the poor fellow now? As for the Hooded Man, sadly, I've never seen the series, and only remember Clannad's theme.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you want to read more of Herne, the Victorian author William Harrison Ainsworth wrote a novel about Henry VIII, called 'Windsor Castle;, where Herne was one of the central figures. A model of the Wild Hunt would be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Chaps. Joppy, the novel sounds very interesting, and a study of the way Herne supplanted Woden as leader of the Wild Hunt in English mythology would be well worth undertaking. Alfront, I'm not sure about Herne Hill or Hene bay for that matter, but I can only assume they are related. The theme track for the series is probably my most listened to CD in my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work. I did a Herne Figure out of clay a few years ago which stood about 10" tall. I'm a huge fan of Robin Of Sherwood myself. Great work on the Herne figures. I cannot wait to see them completed.

    ReplyDelete